Visual Merchandising is an in-store marketing tool that retailers can use to attract more customers into their stores, entice them to shop longer and encourage them to buy more. Unfortunately it is often underutilized because many small business owners simply don't have the time, the resources, or the knowledge to implement it in their stores. At times VM is dismissed as "fluff" and becomes a low priority for stores because it is presumably all about aesthetics and "making it pretty". But when done effectively, Visual Merchandising can drastically increase sales and improve your customers' Lifetime Value (LTV). It involves being in tune with the customers' needs, knowing what the store's primary goals are, highlighting the products' features, and arranging the store so that it is easy for customers to navigate and exceeds their expectations.
If Visual Merchandising was a toolbox, these would be the necessary tools to create an effective presentation:
- Branding - Aligning your store environment with your customers' expectations and design aesthetics
- Storefront Display - Combining an enticing message in the window display with an inviting entrance to create a great first impression
- Fixture Design & Layout - Using fixtures that highlight your product and allow you to maximize your selling space
- Merchandising - Analyzing your sales and adjusting where your product is placed in the store
- Product Presentation - Displaying your product in a way that best highlights its features and benefits
- Graphics & Signage - Using art, photos, and text to grab customers' attention and provide additional information
- Lighting - Utilizing lighting design to set the tone for the store atmosphere and accentuate the merchandise
- Sustainability - Setting your store up for success and arming your team with presentation guidelines and trainings
Follow the Why VM Works blog to learn more about how these tools can improve your store's business!